So today was one of those days where I had a few ingredients in the fridge that I needed to use up, I hate wasting perfectly usable food! I had a large sweet potato and a whole bag of carrots laying around, so I decided to whip up this quick and easy soup.
This is a meal that you can have from chopping board to table within the hour. It’s healthy, delicious and perfect for the whole family for lunch or dinner, saving you having to make different meals at different times. I used madras powder in this, it doesn’t make it spicy, but adds great flavour and is exciting for your little ones taste buds. Reuben absolutely loved it. If you are unsure about a curried soup (like my sister was) just try it, I promise you’ll like it!
You will need:
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped into rough cubes
500g carrots, peeled and chopped
800ml very low salt chicken stock (I used Kallo organic cubes)
2 tsp madras curry powder (you can use medium or mild curry powder if you prefer)
2 tsp ground cumin
Bunch of fresh coriander
All you need to do is:
- Melt the coconut oil and butter in a heavy based non-stick pan
- Add the garlic & onion, leave to soften for 5 minutes
- Put in the sweet potato, carrot, spices, bay leaf & stock
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmering point and leave to cook for 35 minutes, lid on.
- When the vegetables are soft, throw in the coriander & blend.
- Take out the desired amount of soup for your little ones & then season the remaining soup with salt and pepper.
I hope you enjoy this, its great served with some fresh crusty bread. Another exciting recipe coming Friday!